Just a few of the things that keep us up at night:
- There are an estimated 1.7 million orphans in Kenya.
- There are approximately 650,000 orphans due to AIDS.
- Human Rights Watch Group estimates that there are up to 600,000 street children in Kenya, most of them orphaned by AIDS.
- An estimated 1 million children live with HIV.
- An estimated 700 children are orphaned every day. Most of these children withdraw from school due to lack of family support.
- Boys and girls under the age of 5, especially those whose families live in poverty, are vulnerable to potentially fatal diseases such as measles, diarrhea and pneumonia. Malnutrition increases the chances of children dying from these diseases.
- By 2010 there will be 1,900,000 orphans in Kenya alone.
- Children orphaned by AIDS are often discriminated against, and have the least access to essential healthcare.